Man faces court over missing Egyptian artifacts

Egyptian artifacts
A picture of an Egyptian artifact released by police when they were searching for the missing items. | Supplied by Queensland Police

The 52-year-old man is scheduled to appear in court today after he was charged in relation to the alleged theft of Egyptian artefacts from The Abbey Place museum in Caboolture.

In a statement released on the weekend, police said the man had been charged with “enter premises and commit indictable offence by break”, and three counts of wilful damage.

Police will allege that at about 3am on February 13, a man smashed a window of The Abbey Place property and took priceless Egyptian artefacts before leaving the scene.

Detectives said they later found all of the stolen Egyptian artefacts except a wooden cat sculpture. The items were recovered intact, with only minor damage noted.

A 52-year-old man of no fixed address was subsequently arrested on Russell Island and transported to Cleveland Watchhouse. Police will allege the man was found in possession of the last missing artefact, the wooden cat sculpture.

Related articles